Cold Hard Cash Facts
…interesting facts about currency!
As the financial world has been in such flux and turmoil over the last several weeks, we thought we would try something different with this article.
Every day most people who work within the financial markets or with foreign currency need to remain focused on the vast amounts of information and data that must be processed to properly manage their portfolios and protect their profits.
We thought you might enjoy a few facts (25 to be exact) about currency. Who doesn’t like to keep a few trivial facts in their back pocket for light-hearted cocktail hour discussions?
Believe it…or not!
- There is currently an estimated total of approximately $75 TRILLION Dollars (U.S.) in the entire world. If this amount was distributed equally amongst all the people on Earth, each person would have less than $11,000 (U.S.) totaled!
- If you donate blood, most of it is sold on the open market and it generates $4.5 BILLION Dollars (U.S.) annually.
- McDonald’s as a corporation generates approximately $75 MILLION Dollars (U.S.)
- Apple Inc. earns approximately $300,000 Dollars (U.S.)…per minute.
- Of the twenty richest women in the world, all of them inherited their wealth from either their husband or their father….except one of them.
- Americans spent more than $61.4 BILLION Dollars (U.S.) on their pets in 2012.
- Former Drug Lord Pablo Escobar had so much cash on hand, that while trying to “stash” it, he would lose an estimated $1 BILLION Dollars (U.S.) each year to rats that ate it!
- If Bill Gates spent $1,000,000 a day, it would take him 218 years to spend all of his money.
- Sea Shells were once commonly used as currency in many parts of the world.
- Paper currency can transport the live flu virus for over two weeks while in circulation.
- Two out of three inherited family fortunes are lost by the new family generation.
- Americans spend more money on pets annually than Germany spends on its entire defense budget.
- The total amount of money owed (debt) by every single person and country in the world today totals $199 TRILLION Dollars (U.S.)
- The wealthiest families in Florence Italy today….are the same families as 600 years ago.
- Under Federal Law, only deceased people can appear on U.S. currency.
- The first recorded Bitcoin transaction was to buy a pizza for 10,000 Bitcoins…which later was revalued at over $12 MILLION Dollars (U.S.)
- $1.5 TRILLION Dollars (U.S.) are paid in bribes worldwide every year, according to a World Bank Estimate.
- In the 1980’s, the financial sector claimed just 10% of U.S corporate profits. By 2010, it was 30%…supplanting manufacturing as the biggest profit center in the economy.
- In 2015, a Chinese billionaire purchased a painting for $170 MILLION (U.S.) with his credit card so he could use the points for free airfare.
- In 2015, Apple Inc. was worth more than Switzerland, Sweden or Nigeria.
- Two-thirds of all U.S. $100 bills are held outside the United States.
- Americans throw away $62 MILLION Dollars (U.S.) worth of coins every year.
- London’s after-hours economy generates $32.3 BILLION Dollars (U.S.) every year.
- A U.S. one-cent penny costs 2.4 cents to manufacture.
- China began using paper money more than 1,000 years ago. Marco Polo wrote about it during his expeditions.
Now that we have provided you with enough currency trivia to impress your friends, give us a chance at MosaicaFX to protect your profits! We are looking forward to discuss your currency management needs at your convenience.