New Ecommerce Ideas
So where can you come up with new ideas on what to sell on your digital marketplace? Sometimes great ideas hit you when you least expect it. However, it is more likely that you will be successful in bringing new products to the marketplace if you actively search for them. But…where should you search?
The obvious place to search for new products is the World Wide Web. The internet contains a virtual smorgasbord of new ideas and the inspiration for ones that are yet to be invented. However, you can only spend so much time trying to sift through thousands of contact pages on your computer. It may actually make more sense for you to consider some suggestions.
Where Should You Begin?
- Consider the Obvious – pay attention to what your local businesses are carrying in their stores. Visit EBay and other search based digital retail verticals to see what most in demand is. If you find something that is always sold out or you think you could improve on….maybe you should consider such an endeavor.
- Check Out Consumer Driven Media – read what is trending hot! Take a look at digital (and traditional magazines) to see what is getting the most press coverage. It may even be that current trends may lead you to a break-through concept that hasn’t been published yet.
- Use Industry Leaders as Research Sources – many times industry insiders or influencers have their finger on the pulse of an industry. They may even occasionally release a bit of information that can provide insight as to what other companies are planning. These industry leaders try hard to “scoop” each other on new trends. You never know what you may learn from them.
- New Product and Trend Review Sites – there are a lot of digital marketplace sites you can go to that can provide you the “latest and greatest,” of products being released. When you visit these sites they may spark innovation in your mind to develop accessories for some of these new products. Remember, you don’t have to be the first to market…just an acceptable alternative to the first!
- Wholesale Marketplaces – don’t forget to visit the obvious places for new product development like Alibaba, Tradekey, Global Sources or Made-in-China. These are great places to stir the creative juices!
- Consumer Driven Markets – take a look at the most common places one can begin purchasing new products as a consumer, for new ideas. These could include Kickstarter, Etsy, EBay, Amazon and AliExpress. You may see an idea that could be improved upon or marketed into a specific vertical that as yet is untouched.
Don’t Overlook That Old Dinner Napkin!
While all of the aforementioned places are worth considering, don’t overlook your old ideas as well. You may have an idea that was just a pipe-dream ten years ago, but today the technology has advanced enough to make such a scribbled concept easily attainable.
There are a million places to come up with great ideas and today there are almost an infinite number of companies that can help you design, manufacture and market those ideas. Henry Ford once said, “…he never met a new invention he didn’t like!” He went on to say, “…he sometimes found it disappointing that not every customer was a smart as his ideas.” In other words, don’t be afraid of the idea….just be cautious of the soundness of it as a marketable product.
At MosaicaFX we do our best to help support our client’s new ideas by helping them hedge their currency management needs and to protect their profits that are needed to drive these new ventures. Reach out to one of our Executive Account Managers today to hear what we can do to support your international marketplace projects today.